Don’t look now, but flu season is just around the corner. And, like every other flu season, the flu shot will be heavily promoted as the “miracle cure,” especially this year due to the swine flu scare.
No one wants to be running a fever and to sniffle and bark at the same time. But should you really go for the flu vaccine and have your children vaccinated too?
For natural health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, vaccines are not health products and the flu shot is no different. If you ask your doctor or a pharmaceutical company if flu shots work, chances are, they won’t be able to give you a convincing answer.
Numerous studies have exposed the fact that flu vaccines simply DO NOT work and worse, expose you to adverse side effects which include life-threatening allergic reactions, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, autism (in children) and a paralyzing autoimmune disease known as Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Now, why would you take something that doesn’t work and can actually make you sick?
Avoiding the flu, even during the middle of flu season, is not as difficult as many people think. Mercola personally attests that he has never taken a flu shot but he has never missed a day of work due to the flu in over 20 years.
Forget about the flu shot, you can stay flu-free by taking control of your health. Here are Dr. Mercola’s top 5 tips that will help you beat the flu:
- Get enough vitamin D – Dr. Mercola believes that lack of vitamin D is the likely cause of seasonal flu viruses. A recent large-scale study showed that people with low vitamin D levels were more prone to colds and bouts with the flu.
- Take a probiotic supplement and eat plenty of probiotic-rich fermented foods – Protect your gastrointestinal system because eighty percent of your immune system, your body’s natural defense against disease, is located in your gut.
- Eliminate or drastically reduce your sugar intake – Sugar is a natural enemy of your immune system.
- Get enough sleep and rest – Listen to your body. Take a break when you need to because your body will easily succumb to the flu virus if you’re always fatigued.
- Manage your stress levels – A stressful lifestyle rarely leads to a healthy body. You can’t separate wellness from emotions. How you deal with stress directly affects your state of health.